Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Koni or Bilstein? Suspension Reference Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Koni or Bilstein? Suspension Reference Thread
    Posted: 05-Apr-2008 at 13:32
As far as I knew, the Bilsteins were the BE5-6508 & BE5-6511 for the sedan, and H&R 54778 for the springs.
Some sights list the 6508 as being Heavy Duty, and the 6511 as Sport.

AWE-Tuning shows H&R 29797-2 (A6 4.2) giving drops of ~1.75" in the front, and ~1.50" in the rear.
2003 W8 Tip Limousine - locked in sports mode
GIAC pump/stock/ race files
Blue Spirit/ Black
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2008 at 15:21
Originally posted by BlueSteW8

AWE-Tuning shows H&R 29797-2 (A6 4.2) giving drops of ~1.75" in the front, and ~1.50" in the rear.

And we can use the same as what's featured for the A6, correct?

Wanna have a suspension GTG Stew?

EDIT: What did VWGUY4EVER on PW run on his W8? Does anyone remember? He's since removed the pictures of his W8...

Edited by SirRangeALot - 05-Apr-2008 at 21:51
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2008 at 17:46
Ronnie ran H&R Sports - I think on OEM sports package dampers (MT6)

Still confused - Neuspeed shows 6510 sport front, 6511 sport rear
6508 HD front, 6509 HD rear

Bilstein shows - 6508 HD front 2WD, 6509 HD rear AWD
6510 HD front AWD, 6511 sport AWD

Edited by BlueSteW8 - 06-Apr-2008 at 00:12
Blue Spirit/ Black
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2008 at 18:30
[QUOTE=SirRangeALot]

And we can use the same as what's featured for the A6, correct?

Wanna have a suspension GTG Stew?
[QUOTE=SirRangeALot]

Correct on the A6 - pretty sure the 4.2, though the W8 engine alloy block isn't supposed to weigh much more than the iron block V6.

A suspension GTG would be cool, but I don't know exactly when I'll be doing mine.
I will probably pay someone to at least assemble the springs onto the dampers - I have no air tools, but our local club members do.

Edited by BlueSteW8 - 06-Apr-2008 at 00:30
Blue Spirit/ Black
jeffsu350 View Drop Down

Quote jeffsu350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2008 at 10:02
Ronny had H&R's on the stock shocks.

They handled much better, and with the stock shocks it was still very comfortable. Keep in mind though, stock shocks will wear out much quicker with stiffer lower springs.

I am running KW v2's and the adjustability is nice if you don't care about taking the car apart each time. They ride very nicely, and handle better. Ride is stiffer than stock shocks, but that is what I wanted.

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2008 at 12:55
Originally posted by jeffsu350

Ronny had H&R's on the stock shocks.

They handled much better, and with the stock shocks it was still very comfortable. Keep in mind though, stock shocks will wear out much quicker with stiffer lower springs.

I thought Ronny eventually replaced the shocks.

And I know about keeping the stock shocks with lowering springs. Both need to be replaced, I have almost 77k miles on the stock setup.

And I'm not getting coilovers...what a PITA!!

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2008 at 21:43
So I stumbled across this thread at Audizine...is this a good reference to how low the W8 will sit? It's a thread pertaining to S4's and having the H&R/Bilstein setup.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170895

JimmyPringles View Drop Down

Quote JimmyPringles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2008 at 22:03
I cant recall where I may have seen it, but I thought I saw somewhere that the Bilstein HD's were replacing the 'Sports', so maybe this is why some sites, have changed the part #'s for the same vehicle?

Im still pretty sure, I am going to go with PSS9's relatively soon. Although, over the last couple of weeks I was contemplating for a moment, going with the Bilstein/H&R combo to save a little bit of $$$ (would like to actually go away on a vaction this year instead of staying home ). When I started searching around again, for the part#'s (over on PW) and chcecking some sites that when I saw the odd descrepincies in part #'s.

Also SirRangeAlot, Im sure you may be well aware, but it is possible to give illusions as to being lowered. Im sure on Dubya8's ride, if his lowerer valiences were color matched to the body, he'd look a lot lower (the black bottom is taking away from the visual)....Oh and I do realise your car is black (& I think you had yours matched), so that doest really work out for you personally, just giving you an example.

The same concept can be used on wheels and tires too though. A wheel where the spokes go to the edge, is going to give the appearance of a larger wheel (...wheels with lips tend to look smaller). Match that to a smaller side wall tire, and that wheel is is going to look even larger. People ask me all the time, if my Madras are 18" and I can see why myslef as they do not look 17".

Again, Im sure you may already know all this, but just trying to give you some examples of what else you can play with.
Vincere View Drop Down

Quote Vincere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2008 at 12:55
Originally posted by SirRangeALot

So I stumbled across this thread at Audizine...is this a good reference to how low the W8 will sit? It's a thread pertaining to S4's and having the H&R/Bilstein setup.

You can't really use the S4 as a reference as there are too many differences between this and a W8. Different stock ride height, different fenders, and different wheelbase. To get your W8 to look like this would require about a 2.5" drop.
2003 W8 Tip Wagon

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2008 at 20:14
Originally posted by Vincere

You can't really use the S4 as a reference as there are too many differences between this and a W8. Different stock ride height, different fenders, and different wheelbase. To get your W8 to look like this would require about a 2.5" drop.

I figured as much, but I thought since we have the same brake calipers i could use this as a 'guide.' I knew it would not sit as low as the S4 above, but I'd be happy with a 1.5-1.75" drop.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>