Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > The W8 Archive
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Koni or Bilstein? Suspension Reference Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Vincere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Koni or Bilstein? Suspension Reference Thread
    Posted: 08-Apr-2008 at 21:17
I think that 1.5" to 1.75" would look great and not be too low for clearance issues.
2003 W8 Tip Wagon
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2008 at 21:21
www.audizine has a DIY on putting coil overs on a B6/B7 - not exactly what you'll be doing, but probably helpful for procedures, etc.
None of the PW folks have written up 4Motion rear springs/shocks.
2003 W8 Tip Limousine - locked in sports mode
GIAC pump/stock/ race files
Blue Spirit/ Black
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 08:48
H&R Sports: 54778
Bilstein Shocks: BE5-6508-H0 (Front), BE5-6511-H0 (Rears)

The 6510s used to be an option, but are Euro-only - no longer available in North America. There are plenty of references from Will at PW.

You can also get the dampers grooved to give you a bit more drop - doesn't AWE offer that service for a pretty minimal charge?
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 21:59
What kind of quotes are you getting on the shocks?

I've found the full set of Bilsteins (2 x 6508 + 2 x 6511 for $488.80 shipped FREE in the CONUS).
H&Rs seem to be about the same everywhere I've checked so far.
2003 W8 Tip Limousine - locked in sports mode
GIAC pump/stock/ race files
Blue Spirit/ Black
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 21:59
Originally posted by fitzski

You can also get the dampers grooved to give you a bit more drop - doesn't AWE offer that service for a pretty minimal charge?

I don't think AWE offers the suspension package for the W8 anymore, but I could be wrong.
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
JimmyPringles View Drop Down

Quote JimmyPringles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 01:51
Originally posted by BlueSteW8

I've found the full set of Bilsteins (2 x 6508 + 2 x 6511 for $488.80 shipped FREE in the CONUS).

Where? If you dont mind me asking. I may be going this route for now, instead of coilovers. Thanks.
Corwin View Drop Down

Quote Corwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 17:26
Has anyone used the KYB GR2's? I've used those on cars in the past and they're a very nice shock. I see they're available for the W8 and about $30 less each...

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 20:19
Originally posted by BlueSteW8

What kind of quotes are you getting on the shocks?

H&Rs seem to be about the same everywhere I've checked so far.

Shox.com quoted me $755 shipped for H&R springs/Koni shocks combo.
JimmyPringles View Drop Down

Quote JimmyPringles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2008 at 02:46
OK, here we go with some more attemptedcross referancing...
...anyones input would be greatly appreciated:

Originally I was going to go with the Bilstein PSS9 coilovers for my W8 (still want to), however these are out of stock/back ordered from everyone and anyone...basically Bilstein doesn't even have any.

Bilsteins original ETA (this was the beginning of July) was mid to end of August. Now supposedly, it is 6-10 weeks from now 8/14/08. By the time the PSS9's come around again it will practically be winter. I really do not want to wait around any longer, as I get my wheels back from powdercoating Monday, and I do not want to run 19" wheels without suspension/nice drop.

I was going to run just the H&R sport springs (which I have) on stock shocks for now. I know thats usually not recommended, but I do not drive the W8 a whole lot, it has low miles still, and this was only going to be for a little bit till I got the coilovers. However, I do not think I am going to bother to do this now either, as I do not think it is going to drop the car as much as I would like.

So (thanks for reading this far ), I was thinking of purchasing a set of H&R coilovers. The dilema in this is that H&R, as well as their vendors do not have a listing of their coilovers for W8's, but they do for A6 Quattros. While Bilstein uses the same part# GM5-8868-HO for their PSS9's (whether it be W8/A6 Quattro Sedan or wagon), H&R has part #'s specifically for either Sedan (#29482-2) or Wagon (#29482-4). These #'s do stay the same whether it be the 4.2L, 2,7T, & 2.8 30V engines.

I called H&R, to see if they could help out, and explained what I was doing, and basically was told (going "by the book") they do not have coilovers for W8's, and that he can neither say yes or no to me, as far as anything working. Even if the suspension is the same (and we know it is), that they have not specifically tested it on our car (it being limited), and can not confirm anything. I told him, I do understand what he was saying from a legal point/perspective of the company (cover your ass!!). I proceeded politely, to mention that maybe they should look into to testing, and or confirming such a thing "officially". Even though our cars are limited, ultimately it would only mean them being able to sell more coilovers in the future, that they already have available/on the market. The conversation pretty much ended here, and I doubt that last statement made a difference.

Anyway my entire point of this essay, was to possibly confirm & converse with others here that:

A) If one was to get the H&R coilovers, would you stay Sedan to Sedan, Wagon to Wagon specific (since they list different part #'s for Sedan/Wagon), or do you think it does not matter.

B) A bit of reassurance that again, our suspension is exactly the same as the A6 Quattro, and that these would be a straight fit.

C) Should I just shut up and be the guinnea pig!!

A chart for referance:

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2008 at 01:39
Take my advice: just shut up and do it! After hesitating for nearly 3 years, it's the best thing I've ever done.

Contact Shox.com and ask for Bob -- he knows his sh!t. TRUST me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>