Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Koni or Bilstein? Suspension Reference Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rustybronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Koni or Bilstein? Suspension Reference Thread
    Posted: 16-Aug-2008 at 11:26
Jeremy, did you go w/ Bilstein or Koni?

edit: I saw you went w/ Koni - this gave you more drop than Bilstein? Seems like springs would be the main factor in ride height?

Edited by rustybronco - 16-Aug-2008 at 22:18
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2008 at 21:31
Originally posted by rustybronco

Jeremy, did you go w/ Bilstein or Koni?

edit: I saw you went w/ Koni - this gave you more drop than Bilstein? Seems like springs would be the main factor in ride height?

The ride height is a major factor for me, yes, but the ride is much better than I thought. It beats the hell out of the stock suspension. From looking at other pictures of W8's lowered on Bilstein, Konis seem to have a lower drop, plus I don't think the Bilsteins are adjustable - Konis are (the rears). I'm thinking about dropping the rear.

Pics of H&R/Bilstein setup from PassatWorld:

Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
dmcdmc View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2008 at 03:28
For any of you guys in sh*tty weather areas of the US that are looking for coilovers and want to be able to adjust them periodically then I would go with only 1 option and that's KW as they have stainless steel bodies and threads. All the others have galvanised bodies and threads and with all the grit and salt they use on the roads in winter it will be a month before you won't be able to adjust them again!

I've had mine on for over a year now and before shows I give them a quick hose, dry them and can then polish them and they come up like new

Agree with Sirrangealot....best thing I ever did and first thing I did to the car when I got it.
JimmyPringles View Drop Down

Quote JimmyPringles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2008 at 00:13
Cool.

To update:

I decided to go with KW V2's should be here somtime at the beginning of next week.
JimmyPringles View Drop Down

Quote JimmyPringles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2008 at 01:05
Hey DMCDMC, did your rear KW coilovers have bump stops? I just got mine today (KW V2's)....sealed from the factory, and the fronts have bump stops, but the rears do not. Thought that was kinda odd.

I'll be giving a call to the place I ordered them from tomorrow anyway, to double check.

Edited by JimmyPringles - 05-Sep-2008 at 07:06
dmcdmc View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2008 at 04:52
Hey Jimmy....don't know if they did or not as I wasn't around when the company fitted them. Your gonna have so much fun settin your car up and will be so pleased once your done. Make sure they do a full 4 wheel alignment once they are done.
JTninja View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JTninja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2008 at 19:22
sorry to bring up an old topic, but Im having a hard time deciding my suspension.

Should I get new suspension? Im running the Sport Suspension option already, with 51k on the car. I also have a aftermarket extended warrenty, through CarMax, so im not sure I can do this without voiding my warrenty. But still I ask...

Whats better? The whole HR/Bilstien combo, which I can have by Christmas...or continue saving up for the PSS9 Coilovers? Ive heard great things about both, and not sure which to get. Go cheap or go coils...just want to hear opinions and others stories..:)
JT Tami

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2008 at 21:31
Originally posted by JTninja

Should I get new suspension? Im running the Sport Suspension option already, with 51k on the car. I also have a aftermarket extended warrenty, through CarMax, so im not sure I can do this without voiding my warrenty. But still I ask...

Whats better? The whole HR/Bilstien combo, which I can have by Christmas...or continue saving up for the PSS9 Coilovers? Ive heard great things about both, and not sure which to get. Go cheap or go coils...just want to hear opinions and others stories..:)

Keep in mind you're supposed to replace the shocks every 50k miles, so you're due anyway. Might as well make it worth your while.

I am partial to Koni. I love the way they ride, and they are rear-adjustable. I'm not sure if Bilsteins are adjustable.

Also, it will NOT void your warranty to replace your shocks/springs. Unless of course you crack your oil pan... j/k
hambone6077 View Drop Down

Quote hambone6077 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2012 at 05:56
I did search but nothing came up. Anybody use these? My car is '03 sedan with sport package. It rides like a damn buckboard. All stock. Wouldn't mind it being a little lower since the wheels/tires look way too small on it but i don't want a way harsher ride. Front of car is ok, rear is way stiff. I had H&R on my 325i and Moss springs on my TR6 and neither was as stiff as what i got on my W8, lol. Please give me some facts.

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2012 at 03:22
Originally posted by hambone6077

I did search but nothing came up. Anybody use these? My car is '03 sedan with sport package. It rides like a damn buckboard. All stock. Wouldn't mind it being a little lower since the wheels/tires look way too small on it but i don't want a way harsher ride. Front of car is ok, rear is way stiff. I had H&R on my 325i and Moss springs on my TR6 and neither was as stiff as what i got on my W8, lol. Please give me some facts.

You searched? orly?

Merged your topic with this thread.

I had H&R springs and Koni yellows. Lowered it about 2" in front and 1.75" in rear. The ride was excellent and she hugged the curves like a champ. I was very happy with the results.

There are pics of my setup in this thread somewhere, probably towards the beginning.

EDIT: I lied, I thought I posted pics. Here's a good one.

Edited by SirRangeALot - 20-Jan-2012 at 03:29
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>