Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > The W8 Archive
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Koni or Bilstein? Suspension Reference Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Koni or Bilstein? Suspension Reference Thread
    Posted: 04-Apr-2008 at 10:11
I am close to ordering my new suspension. I was going to get H&R springs with Koni shocks. However, after doing some research it looks like some people have had problems with Koni.

Do any of you have recommendations or personal experiences of the two shock brands? I would like to order a setup within the next few weeks. Is there any ride height difference?

Thanks!
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
doubleu8 View Drop Down

Quote doubleu8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2008 at 10:52
Bilstein
rustybronco View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote rustybronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2008 at 11:20
^^^^---

Edited by rustybronco - 04-Apr-2008 at 17:20
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2008 at 11:56
Any brand of shock can have premature failure - I'll be going H&R w/ Bilsteins in the not too distant future, and will slap on the 17MM 1BE rear sway bar while I'm at it.
2003 W8 Tip Limousine - locked in sports mode
GIAC pump/stock/ race files
Blue Spirit/ Black
Vincere View Drop Down

Quote Vincere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2008 at 16:25
Koni's are adjustable but if you're not sure what you are doing, you can get them set wrong and have handling and/or ride issues. They are great for tuning your suspension for the track but must be removed from the car to adjust them. For most people that's another variable that is not needed. Bilsteins do not have the adjustment for rebound so they are just plug and play. In my experience, Bilstein uses a slightly higher pressure gas charge than Koni's so they may ride just slightly higher. So if you are looking for the most adjustability and tunability of your suspension for track duty without going to coilovers, get the Koni's. If you don't need or want the adjustability, get Bilsteins. There are also a lot of places that do custom valving on Koni's if you really want more adjustability or to tune out specific problems or issues with your car.
2003 W8 Tip Wagon
R32Viper View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2008 at 20:30
Originally posted by doubleu8

Bilstein

You got it, Bilstain shock absorbers according to my magazine European Car they are the makers of the one that Buggatti uses. They may be a little more expensive it might be worth it.

Anybody here have purchase them for the W8 lets us know I would like to buy a set when my wears out.
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2008 at 21:13
Originally posted by Vincere

Koni's are adjustable but if you're not sure what you are doing, you can get them set wrong and have handling and/or ride issues. They are great for tuning your suspension for the track but must be removed from the car to adjust them. For most people that's another variable that is not needed. Bilsteins do not have the adjustment for rebound so they are just plug and play. In my experience, Bilstein uses a slightly higher pressure gas charge than Koni's so they may ride just slightly higher. So if you are looking for the most adjustability and tunability of your suspension for track duty without going to coilovers, get the Koni's. If you don't need or want the adjustability, get Bilsteins. There are also a lot of places that do custom valving on Koni's if you really want more adjustability or to tune out specific problems or issues with your car.

I don't take my car to the track and I don't plan on getting coilovers.

I'd like to do the H&R/Bilstein combo, but I'm not sure if they go as low as I'd like. I found pics from a PW thread and it just doesn't look like it's very low...

(Dubya8's ride):

Could it be a possibility that since they're only 17's it gives the illusion that it's lower than it looks? I have yet to see a W8 on a Koni/H&R kit.

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2008 at 21:15
I forgot to post the link to the thread: http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224617
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2008 at 09:06
Are you going with a new suspension just for the sake of lowering?
When I replace my springs/dampers it will be because:
A) it's old (6/2002 build, over 45,000 miles) - springs are still good, but they have to come off anyway - so I might as well upgrade for $200+
B) to get a better handling car

It looks like the H&R/Bilstein drops ~1.3" in the front, ~1.1" in the rear.

Which Bilstein p/n's are you looking at?
6508 & 6511?
Some reference 6509 for the rear (sedan), and several sources show those 3 part numbers as being HD or Sport, depending on the website.
2003 W8 Tip Limousine - locked in sports mode
GIAC pump/stock/ race files
Blue Spirit/ Black

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2008 at 12:14
Originally posted by BlueSteW8

Are you going with a new suspension just for the sake of lowering?
When I replace my springs/dampers it will be because:
A) it's old (6/2002 build, over 45,000 miles) - springs are still good, but they have to come off anyway - so I might as well upgrade for $200+
B) to get a better handling car

It looks like the H&R/Bilstein drops ~1.3" in the front, ~1.1" in the rear.

Which Bilstein p/n's are you looking at?
6508 & 6511?
Some reference 6509 for the rear (sedan), and several sources show those 3 part numbers as being HD or Sport, depending on the website.

Well, not just for the sake of lowering. My car does need new suspension (almost 77k miles), but if I'm going to lower it, I'd like it a tad lower than what's in the pictures above. Of course, I think he took those pictures right after the installation so I don't think it completely "settled" yet.

So which part numbers for the Bilstein? BE5-6508 (Fronts) & BE5-6511 (Rears)? Are there other options for the Bilsteins?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>