Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

oil change

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Brokecollegestudent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: oil change
    Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 23:20
Hey guys i have about 120 miles left on this oil.

Wondering what you guys suggest as oil and filter.
R32Viper View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 23:34
I suggest you try amsoil 5-40 european formula. Filter I always get the original.
Brokecollegestudent View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Brokecollegestudent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 03:19
where the hell do i get that??
squish View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote squish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 09:38
ECS tuning has pentosin 5w-40 which is OEM oil. or just get quality synthetic oil in that same weight that has the VW approval from your local auto parts store.
filters are identical to those that go in 12V VR6 (from the '90s). i had some leftovers from when i used to own a jetta GLX and it fit perfectly.
2005 V70 R
2007 2.0T 6MT
sptsdn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sptsdn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 10:12
Obviously you can get the filters at the dealer. As far as oil is concerned, try Lighthouse Imports. They specialize in European car parts so I'll bet they carry the Euro spec oil if you can't find it at the local Autozone/Schucks.

http://www.importpartshouse.com/
- Craig
2004 W8 Variant, 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero, and 1978 Alfa Romeo Sport Sedan
rustybronco View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote rustybronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 10:15
I've been using the Wix brand filters... I suppose they're good, I went with "not the cheapest, but not the most expensive" logic on the filter.

If you are buying the oil locally, the best I've been able to find for a 5W40 is Castrol Syntec.

I used Castrol for my last oil change, but I ordered Elf Excellium NF 5W40 online for my next two. It is better oil and was on sale, so actually less than the Castrol.

The amsoil and pentosin are both very good. Really, any of the pentosin fluids are good.

Finding proper fluids are kind of a PITA for this car, but don't fret, they're a PITA for all VW's!
VWAffe View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote VWAffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 10:36
I also use Wix... O'Reilly carries them, and they are also sold as NAPAGold filters. They're a quality filter, on par with OEM VW if I recall correctly. Interesting reading on filters here... he dissected a bunch of them. Only thing missing is filtration data.

Oil... asking that question opens pandora's box. I've been using Castrol Syntec 0W-30 - bottom line is I use it for the 503.01 certification. That exact weight isn't in the manual, though... but is in the original SSP literature for the W-engine family. There are others out there with it that aren't too hard to find (Mobil 1 0W-40 for one). Just my 2 cents.
'03 W8 Sedan 6MT     ..."it goes to 11!"
'02 V6 Wagon 4Mo 5MT (Swap In Work)     ...both black on black w/ limo tint
'14 JSW TDI 6MT
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 13:58
Mobil 0W-40 is easy to find, and relatively inexpensive.
K&N makes an oil filter - I use the Mann, and current oil is Pentosin High Performance 5W-40.

www.partsquick.com

Good price on filters (Mahle are cheaper), Pentosin HP and Lubro-Moly.
Oil drain crush washer $0.17.
Free shipping over $50.00 too
2003 W8 Tip Limousine - locked in sports mode
GIAC pump/stock/ race files
Blue Spirit/ Black
Brokecollegestudent View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Brokecollegestudent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2008 at 01:56
Thanks a bunch guys, ill let you know what ill go with, i guess its go big with this car on everything.. Haha, 50 bucks on oil and a filter.. thats getting pretty far up there. How much oil do i buy? i just got the car about 2900 ago and never have changed it yet. I should have from the local dealer, but its alright. I just had the cams done, they didnt change the oil, i dont know how they got away with that one.
rustybronco View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote rustybronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2008 at 08:03
fitzski wrote a nice HOW-TO: Oil & Filter Change.

Capacity is ~9 qts or ~8.5 liters.
I thought our family's '93 Land Cruiser took at a lot at 8 quarts... The 5.8L in my Bronco only takes 6 quarts! The W8 really is a beast.

I always make sure I have one extra bottle in the trunk at all times.
And ramps (like in the write up) are soo much faster than jacking the front up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>