Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Sludge, cam adjuster failure and driving habits

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ikonw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sludge, cam adjuster failure and driving habits
    Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 19:52
As I understand it, the cam adjuster failures that some have experienced on their W8 is caused by sludge.

Is this failure related to driving habits, how many miles per day one drives their W8 or how often the car is used (or unused?)

Thoughts?
IKONW8

2003 Reflex Silver, Stock
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 20:20
The cam adjusting mechanism is operated by oil pressure, I think, which is regulated somewhat by the screens on the intake and output openings in the adjuster housing.
Mine failed because the screen "ruptured" in a small crescent shaped area.
I would guess that a build up on the same screen(s) could cause problems as well.
My guess is that if the engine saw 5,000 mile OCIs, that would help.
The previous owner did the OCIs by the book - initially at 5,000 miles, and then again at 10,000/20,000/30,000 miles.
I bought it with 34,600 on the odometer, but did not do an oil/ oil filter change until almost 37,600.
My bank 1 adjuster went at 44,364.
I changed the oil and filter at that time, and again when I got it fixed at 45,000 miles.
Next change will be at 50,000 miles - I'm at 46,214.

I don't know what was used in the car before I bought it - I do know it was serviced at the VW dealers.
I started with Motul 8100 E-Tech 0W-40 (since discontinued)
Mobil1 0W-40 when the tensioner threw a CEL,
currently using Pentosin HP 5W-40, and will likely continue to do so.
2003 W8 Tip Limousine - locked in sports mode
GIAC pump/stock/ race files
Blue Spirit/ Black
R32Viper View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 22:25
Nice info BlueSteW8, that helps a lot understand the problem with the cam adjuster. I have 2,500.00 Saved allready just for the extended warranty but I'm kind up holding back just thinking about what about if nothing happens and I wasted that money for nothing. Then again something got to happens but it won't be that expensive.

We need to get right on the bone and get some info about this engine and what is really causin the problems. I 'm willing to call the VW of america and ask him what is wrong with the cam adjuster or the faulty parts.

Do not look at the grammar.
 Post Reply Post Reply