The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Do It Yourself Guides
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Replacing brake pads and rotors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing brake pads and rotors
    Posted: 16-Feb-2009 at 20:42
Just remember to vent the brake fluid reservoir before compressing the piston.
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
lyrinx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote lyrinx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2009 at 20:47
Just found:wdp

Complete set for only $300...It's too cheap to be good ? Any one tried them already ?
Manowar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Manowar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2009 at 09:17
Thanks for the tools and tips guys. Will try AZ to rent.
Manowar
02passatw8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote 02passatw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2009 at 23:31
Dont know about the 300 set but i need a set of front brakes and guess i will take one for the team and try them out. Any suggestions, should i go with drilled and slotted, yea they look cool, i put them on my TL type S and loved them, but for the W8 not sure.
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 09:40
Originally posted by 02passatw8

Dont know about the 300 set but i need a set of front brakes and guess i will take one for the team and try them out. Any suggestions, should i go with drilled and slotted, yea they look cool, i put them on my TL type S and loved them, but for the W8 not sure.

Just get them from your local VW dealer. Mine matches online prices. Last time I paid $92/rotor. They are very heavy so shipping costs are high. Slotted and cross drilled are great pad eaters and IMHO not worth it.
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

JohnnyB View Drop Down

Quote JohnnyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2009 at 11:12
Originally posted by B5crazy

Just remember to vent the brake fluid reservoir before compressing the piston.

I forgot (didn't know) to do this, and now the brake pedal will not return fully from the floor (it's only about 2/3 returned) and all four brakes are dragging... How can I fix this?
W8 a minute View Drop Down

Quote W8 a minute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2009 at 00:34
What size is the Allen bolt holding the rear rotor/bearing?
epalla View Drop Down

Quote epalla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2010 at 20:58
We gave this a shot today and everything went fine until the caliper bolts. Verified that it is, in fact, a 21mm bolt, but we could not get either bolt to budge for the life of us. We couldn't get much more than a standard 12" wrench in the wheel well, so we just couldn't get any leverage on it. A breaker bar would be nice but with just jack stands I'm not even sure you could get it in there to help at all.

We put the old pads back in for now. Maybe we'll give it a shot again soon with some bigger badder wrenches and a breaker bar.

I can't believe there's not an easier way. A lot of other cars have just a nice little allen bolt you can remove to swing the caliper open. :(

SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2010 at 21:59
Originally posted by lyrinx

Just found:wdp

Complete set for only $300...It's too cheap to be good ? Any one tried them already ?

Not bad. My pad sensor has been beeping at me lately but I have some decent pad left. I'm going to wait until spring.
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2010 at 08:39
Originally posted by straightw8

thanks fitz. Manowar, I've never actually done the rears before, I'm just aware of the challenges that are posed. I guess you have to rotate the pad out of place (or something like that) while using your hands to pull. Again, I'm not actually sure what the procedure is, but I know the tool makes it much easier.

I can't imagine it would be too expensive, though.

Just make sure you vent the brake fluid reservoir before screwing the piston back in.
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>