The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Do It Yourself Guides
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Replacing brake pads and rotors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing brake pads and rotors
    Posted: 18-Jan-2010 at 08:41
Originally posted by epalla

Verified that it is, in fact, a 21mm bolt,

Are your sure it's a 21mm?
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
epalla View Drop Down

Quote epalla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2010 at 01:58
yeah it's 21.

So, are we sure it's the 21mm bolts that we want to take off? There are two 'star'-ish bolts in rubber sleeves on the back of the caliper as well (although the bleeder cap makes the top one completely inaccessible). Are those what we should be focusing on? I wish I had a schematic of the caliper assembly.

Edited by epalla - 19-Jan-2010 at 01:59
JohnnyB View Drop Down

Quote JohnnyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2010 at 08:40
Originally posted by epalla

I wish I had a schematic of the caliper assembly.

If I get a chance when I get home tonight, I'll try to catch some screen grabs from my Bentley On-line manual...
epalla View Drop Down

Quote epalla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2010 at 23:34
Tried again this weekend and we got it.

Took an 18" breaker bar, a little penetrating oil and a complete disregard for the safety of my knuckles. Beyond that everything went super smooth. Had to clean some gunk out of the calipers for the new pads to slide in nicely, but overall not too big of a deal.

Overall with the right tools today it took about 3 hours. The second wheel went way smoother than the first, only took about an hour for that one.

I'm pretty confident if we did it again I could go much quicker still.

Edited by epalla - 24-Jan-2010 at 23:36
tommygunns View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote tommygunns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2010 at 05:13
I just did mine yesterday. Planned on doing the front rotors as well, but it turns out that the ones they had in the system for the W8 are not correct. So I had them look up the S4 rotors ( I assume they are the same) and it will be almost 300 bucks! I can verify a 22mm bolt, thats what I had. And a trick I have learned from the many brakes I have done, to get more leverage for those bolts that just don't want to come off is to turn the wheel all the way you can so that the caliper is pointing out. Doing this, we were able to use my big breaker bar, with my jack handle slid over top, for like a 3ft bar!
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2010 at 16:40
AFAIK the S4 rotors will not work. Rotors at the VW dealer are only $95 each.
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
squish View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote squish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2010 at 08:16
^^ both of these points are correct
2005 V70 R
2007 2.0T 6MT
R32Viper View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2010 at 13:02
Anybody have try the 300 dollars set with drilled rotors? I really don't care if they are pad eaters as long as they last me 30,000 miles. I will be happy with that millage I believe the originals pads with ariginals rotors only last you around 45,000 miles
SeaHunt View Drop Down

Quote SeaHunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2015 at 01:35
I have just gone through the exercise of to replacing the front rotors and pads :(
What a drama..ended up costing me $415 (aussie) per rotor..the only one I can buy are otto-zimmermann
As mine are a little differant to usa modol brakes
2 x pads per side not 4 per side
334 x 34 mm rotors not the 321 mm you guys have
RobG View Drop Down

Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2015 at 13:36
Sounds like yours are the same spec as ours (UK)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>