The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum Locked02 sensors bad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mf7365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 02 sensors bad
    Posted: 02-May-2008 at 09:18
I took my car to the dealer yesterday and they informed me that the O2 sensors (farthest downstream on each side as the other two have been replaced already)are bad and need replaced. My extended warranty suddenly doesn't want to do the work, even though it is a covered part and I'm waiting to hear back from the shop because my warranty company is sending someone out to verify that this is what really is the problem. We'll see.
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2008 at 09:42
Originally posted by mf7365

My extended warranty suddenly doesn't want to do the work, even though it is a covered part and I'm waiting to hear back from the shop because my warranty company is sending someone out to verify that this is what really is the problem. We'll see.

WHAT? Um, no. That's BS. They cant back out of a repair just because they don't want to pay out. I'd be finding your contract and raising hell with the warranty company, good sir.
ikonw8 View Drop Down

Quote ikonw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2008 at 13:29
Who is your warranty company?
IKONW8

2003 Reflex Silver, Stock
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2008 at 16:16
How many miles do you ahve on your car. The oxygen sensor should be an emissions warranty item that is enforced by the EPA or 8yr or 80K miles.

EMISSION CONTROL PARTS
Exhaust Gas Conversion Systems: oxygen sensor, thermal reactor, catalytic converter, dual-walled exhaust pipe
Exhaust Gas Recirculation System: EGR valve, thermal vacuum switch, EGR solenoid, EGR spacer plate, EGR backpressure transducer, sensor and switches used to control EGR flow
Evaporative Emission Control System: purge valve, fuel filler cap, purge solenoid, vapor storage canister, and filter
Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) System: PCV valve, PCV solenoid
Air Injection System: Air pump diverter, bypass, or gulp valve, reed valve, anti-backfire or deceleration valve
Early Fuel Evaporative (EFE) System: EFE valve, thermal vacuum switch, heat riser valve
Fuel Metering System: electronic control module (unit) or EFI air flow meter, computer command module or mixture control unit, deceleration controls, electronic choke, fuel injectors, fuel injection units and fuel altitude compensator sensor, bars or rails for EFI or TBI systems, mixture settings on sealed fuel mixture control solenoid, diaphragm or other systems, fuel metering components that achieve closed/other feedback control sensors/loop operation switches and valves
Air Induction System: thermostatically controlled air cleaner, air box
Ignition Systems: electronic spark advance timing advance/retard systems, high energy electronic ignition
Miscellaneous Parts: hoses, gaskets, brackets, clamps, and other accessories used in the above systems

EPA Site

Edited by B5crazy - 02-May-2008 at 22:18
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
squish View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote squish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2008 at 19:09
had my downstream O2s replaced when the cam adjusters failed. the engine was out already so it was easy. but my tech said that if the car's a manual transmission, it might not require dropping the engine to replace them
2005 V70 R
2007 2.0T 6MT
mf7365 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mf7365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2008 at 20:22
The service manager told me Fri. that they are waiting for the the claims adjuster from the warranty company to write up his report for whatever he did. I'm going to wait and see what they say before making any calls etc., as they most likely will have to authorize the repair because it is under warranty.
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2008 at 09:32
Does your car have less than the Federally mandated 80,000 miles?
If so, the warranty company MAY have an out, as those parts are covered under the OEM warranty?
2003 W8 Tip Limousine - locked in sports mode
GIAC pump/stock/ race files
Blue Spirit/ Black
mf7365 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mf7365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2008 at 09:49
My warranty company has said no to the repair. Their top of the line warranty excludes "exhaust components & catalytic converters". The car has 59,000 mi. and is a manual transmission, so I'd really like to know if it is possible to change the downstream O2 sensors without dropping the engine.
___/ __/ _/ View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote ___/ __/ _/ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2008 at 22:34
Originally posted by ikonw8

Who is your warranty company?

Again, Who is your warranty company?

Mike
"I agree that the W8 is a great car--when it works... "
-dstathos-

^Pure Genius! Why didn't I write that?!?

mf7365 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mf7365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2008 at 23:08
National Auto Care. I have their pinnacle protection plan which is their best plan. I bought the remainder from the original owner who had purchased it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>