Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > The W8 Archive
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedChrome mirror caps/covers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JimmyPringles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chrome mirror caps/covers
    Posted: 20-Jul-2008 at 23:21
just picked up a set today, from the dubstop guys at Waterfest.
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2008 at 12:43
Originally posted by JimmyPringles

just picked up a set today, from the dubstop guys at Waterfest.

Any other W8s at Waterfest?
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
R32Viper View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 21:30
Not me too far.
quattrorules View Drop Down

Quote quattrorules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2011 at 18:54
I think I would like to add chrome exterior mirrors to my car. Has anyone tried this, how does it look? Do you have any recommendation for a source for a quality set?

Thanks
Michael
Petrol Pearl 03 Wagon
mperew8 View Drop Down

Quote mperew8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2011 at 22:22
*I haven't done it but I've seen a few and the caps don't look as good as the actual cover replacement. You can also just take them off and paint them, something like mirrors are actually easy to paint even on the car, but look better if you take them off to paint. just remove, wet sand prime paint, paint again, and 3 or 4 coats of clear. Look online you can find a more complete step by step how to. This is also the cheapest way to do it, as you can get all your paint supplies for about $30

-2004 W8 6spd Silverstone Grey.

Quote quattrorules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2011 at 23:27
Yeah, I could refinish them, but it's not because of bad paint that I want to change them. I think that with all the other chrome accents on the car, and the dark blue paint, the mirrors will look good in chrome, like an Audi S-car. That's why I'm looking for the best set, I don't want it to look like something stuck over the original mirror, I think there are some made that actually replace the original mirror body. Just gotta find out where they come from.
Michael
Petrol Pearl 03 Wagon
radiosplace View Drop Down

Quote radiosplace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2011 at 02:39
Dubstop has the replacement chrome covers:
http://www.dubstopimports.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=chrome+mirror&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

I don't have these, but have ordered other items from them with no problems.

There's a coupon code to try as well: CB5MIRB6 (found on passatworld.com)

Edited by radiosplace - 08-Jul-2011 at 02:40
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2011 at 03:47
I bought the VW ones which are made by In-Pro.

Here is picture of two 6 speed wagons with chrome mirror caps.

2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/

Quote quattrorules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2011 at 17:26
Well, thanks for all the info, and sorry for the out-of-place posting. Never thought to do a search on the topic. I've ordered the set from Dubstop, along with the aspherical mirror glass set. I bought them from ebay, better pricing than the website. I'll let you know how it goes with the installation when the parts arrive.
Michael
Petrol Pearl 03 Wagon

Quote quattrorules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2011 at 14:44
Got the caps, and installed them yesterday. They look great on the car. The driver's side took me about an hour to install, but I learned a lot from it, because the passenger side was on in less than 10 minutes. Something that nobody mentioned in the installation instructions was that there is a torx head screw that needs to come out to get the original cap off. I found that the best technique is to pry off the glass, and then remove the screw, which is on the inboard side of the mirror swivel assembly, and just pull the cap up after that. I didn't find any benefit to removing the little plug in the bottom of the housing, in fact I just made a mess of the plug in trying to pry it out.
Michael
Petrol Pearl 03 Wagon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>