Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

W8 Exhaust upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote GreatW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: W8 Exhaust upgrade
    Posted: 17-May-2008 at 11:34
Has anyone out there upgraded their exhaust system with Magnaflow mufflers? If so could I get some info. on which mufflers i.e. size and inlet and outlet Etc. Any other information would be greatly appreciated. My vehicle is a 2004 Passat wagon.
Marco View Drop Down

Quote Marco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2008 at 15:02
I initially looked at MagnaFlows, but went with all stainless Edelbrock straight-thru's packed with ceramic chips (they never wear out or change tone). I had the dual tips cut off and rewelded so it looks stock outside. You have the same "pancake" resonator as I do. I found that freeing the exhaust (a HUGE improvement) also moved the resonance curve beyond the resonator, which was a bit much inside. So, I had the 2 - in and 2 - out MagnaFlow put in its place. Much better.

Edelbrock no longer makes the model I have. But, several other members have used the MagnaFlow to very good advantage. Try a search.
Marco M. Pardi 2003 W8 SilverStone Grey Variant w/Sports Package, straight-thru exhaust & various extras.
M1ck View Drop Down

Quote M1ck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2008 at 15:44
A W8 with Magnaflows

Clicky

Edited by M1ck - 17-May-2008 at 21:45
black4motion View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote black4motion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2008 at 18:52
My W8 with straight-pipes My W8

Edited by black4motion - 19-May-2008 at 00:53
2004 DÖÜBLE Ü8 6-speed
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2008 at 22:12
Originally posted by black4motion

My W8 with straight-pipes My W8

ZOMG that is HOTNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want!!
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
02passatw8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote 02passatw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2008 at 23:34
WIth replacing the mufflers and the pancake resonator did you have a emission issues, like CEL light? And what about back pressure any issues?
Marco View Drop Down

Quote Marco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2008 at 08:14
No emission issues. No CEL. The "motorboat effect" (engine choking down when letting off gas) is gone (you will alter your braking habits). Stumble and hesitation on acceleration is gone.
Marco M. Pardi 2003 W8 SilverStone Grey Variant w/Sports Package, straight-thru exhaust & various extras.
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2008 at 10:25
Originally posted by Marco

Stumble and hesitation on acceleration is gone.

Wow...that motivates me even more to get my exhaust done!
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
black4motion View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote black4motion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2008 at 11:48
just a warning, im not sure about the magnaflow setup with the mufflers at the rear of the car, but my mufflers under the center of the car is very very LOUD. This might be too much for some people. Highway drone at 80 is very loud with the windows up...just letting you guys know if you are not in the market for something that you can hear from miles away.
2004 DÖÜBLE Ü8 6-speed
Marco View Drop Down

Quote Marco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2008 at 16:13
black4motion, That's why I went with the standard architecture and simply replaced everything with straight throughs. Since 1958 I've owned quite a few exotic sports/racing machines. An afternoon at a gymkhana, hillclimb, club race, or an autocross can be great fun. But, a daily driver can be an agony if you aren't careful. Marco
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>