The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedMaster key locked in trunk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MikestroW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Master key locked in trunk
    Posted: 17-May-2008 at 19:16
So i locked my master remote key in the trunk. Unfortunatley when I bought the car, the dealership only gave me one key. So i have no other spares. I called pop a lock and they opened the front doors but couldn't get the trunk open due to the security.

My only option as it looks is to go to VW to make a new key. My question though is how much it will cost. I heard it would cost $350 but isn't that only to make a new master remote key? All i need to open the trunk is a valet key. But they don't open until monday so I'm not sure how much they cost :(
2003 Black Tip W8 Sedan
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2008 at 22:02
As with any dealer there is the cost to do something and he cost they decide to charge you. Cutting a key should be less than $100. You should be able to buy the remote on eBay.

Doesn't your car have a truck opening switch on the door card next to the gaas cap release?
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
MikestroW8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MikestroW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2008 at 23:31
Yeah the trunk opening switch is there but because the security system is activated even though the doors are open, it becomes disabled, or at least it is in my car. The gas switch works but the trunk switch doesn't...no idea why
2003 Black Tip W8 Sedan
R32Viper View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2008 at 23:55
Yes it you can get the key right beside it and switch it on or off. Thats just in case you take the car to the dealer and you don't want them to open the trunk. Anyways I though the Passat have some kind of swich on the back seats that you can fold them down for a bigger cargo.
IF it do that would be the easies way to get inside the trunk, if you can't find the switch or if there is none you can try by the armrest I think you can open the little door and have asses to the trunk.
R32Viper View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2008 at 23:58
Good thing I got 2 master keys and the regular one for the mechanic, the other day i try to turn the car on with the mechanic key and it shut down after 2 seconds of the car being on it says something about inmobility. Anybody have had the same experience because if thats the case how the service guy suppost to move the car with that key if it is made for that porpuse.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MikestroW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2008 at 05:15
The center arm rest in the back seat will only fold down on the inside. In order to get through to the trunk, you have to unlock or fold down the other side in the trunk so i'm screwed
2003 Black Tip W8 Sedan
rustybronco View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote rustybronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2008 at 11:36
hmm... the alarm is armed and disarmed through the remote and also the the driver side door lock... could the door's lock cylinder be removed, then arm and disarm the car without the lock cylinder in?

I've heard of Passats being stolen by popping the door handle and lock off and justs turning the lock mechanism w/ a screwdriver - unlocks the door and disarms the alarm. Perhaps I'm wrong here, but seems worth looking into.

Good luck.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MikestroW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2008 at 12:00
Thanks guys for the replies. I actually ended up taking a screwdriver and pushing the ski hatch in the back forward to the trunk. I didn't think it would be that easy but it popped right through. I then took a hockey stick and fished the key out. Definitely saved a lot of money! :)
2003 Black Tip W8 Sedan
rustybronco View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote rustybronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2008 at 12:45
Nice! Glad it was that "easy".
squish View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote squish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2008 at 13:22
hooray!!!

Edited by squish - 18-May-2008 at 19:23
2005 V70 R
2007 2.0T 6MT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>