The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedPossible cam adjuster issue?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote long_w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possible cam adjuster issue?
    Posted: 26-Dec-2011 at 20:01
Thanks for the advice. I have already been running Seafoam in the car, which I added with the oil when I did the last two changes. It sounds like the best thing to do is to change the oil again and hope for the best. The trouble is that I've only got about 500 miles on the current oil, synthetic 5w40 from Castrol.

I'll try a different grade with another can of Seafoam and maybe that will get me going again.
'03 Variant MT6 Sport Package
'91 Mazda MX-5 "Miata", supercharged
long_w8 View Drop Down

Quote long_w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2012 at 03:17
So after a couple of electroshock and oil flush cycles, I've now got ~100 miles on the car with no CEL. For good measure I switched from Castrol 5w40 synthetic to Mobil-1 0w40. No condemnation of Castrol here, but I felt I needed to change my luck so I changed my oil as well.

I drove it to the airport and flogged it as hard as I could without getting arrested, left it there in freezing temps overnight and then flogged it some more on the way back home. Ran great...so far, so good.

Hopefully the damnable light stays away for a while.
tripwalking View Drop Down

Quote tripwalking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2012 at 18:35
I think it's the flogging that helps the most...
RobG View Drop Down

Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2012 at 23:26
and when it sounds as good as it does above 3k rpm, it's rude not to :)
long_w8 View Drop Down

Quote long_w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2012 at 05:44
Just a quick update:

I've now put something like 750 miles on the car since the most recent shock-and-flush treatment and the CEL has not returned. (It's hard to type with one hand and knock on wood with the other!) After driving around town and gaining some confidence that the problem had gone away for a while, I bravely drove the car to Chicago (~250 miles) and all was well.

Here's one possible theory, and I'd be interested to hear what people think:

I am the 3rd owner of this car and I got it with just over 100k on the clock. Suppose the prior owners had never done anything to flush the engine, had driven the car like grandmothers and otherwise been bad W8 owners, unwittingly or otherwise.

Now I come along and put Seafoam in the car and drive it hard. The result is that lots of crap that had been stuck in the engine is now floating around because I disturbed it. This crap quickly finds its way to my cam adjusters and get stuck there, where it must be dislodged and then flushed from the engine. It takes several cycles but (hopefully) ultimately results in a clean engine.

Opinions?
hambone6077 View Drop Down

Quote hambone6077 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2012 at 06:38
It took 3 seafoam treatments to clean out my engine. The 2nd treatment caused my oil to look like nothing i've ever seen come outta an engine, lol. I only did it for prevention, not to resolve a problem. This last oil change i added Lucas synthetic oil treatment. Currently there's 141,000 on the ticker. I can't imagine it ran any better when new. I really enjoy this car. Well, except for fuel costs! I drive it at least 61 miles a day to n from work.
Malcolm Tucker View Drop Down

Quote Malcolm Tucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2012 at 16:04
Although I've never had the cam phaser problems with my W8, I think the reason so many people have had problems is that when driving sedately, the engine never really gets above 3,000rpm (2,500rpm in 5th gives 70mph for the automatic W8). Since the cam phasers are used around 4,000rpm, they never get used and gum up.

All the more reason to give the car the beans every so often :-D
"I've got more on my plate than a spinster at a wedding"
long_w8 View Drop Down

Quote long_w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2012 at 16:48
I am starting to think that I'm where you were, Hambone: The first Seafoam made a mess, and the second one where it's an even bigger mess. This is where I started getting the CEL.

Now that I've gone onto the THIRD flush, all could (hopefully) be well going forward. I also have got into the habit of running the car up to 60MPH in second gear to exercise the heck out of the adjusters and whatnot. Besides, it's fun! Woohoo! :-)
hambone6077 View Drop Down

Quote hambone6077 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2012 at 17:21
I'm not sure if the Lucas oil treatment will bite me in the ass or not, but the engine got really quiet. I had a 1 second rattle during a cold start, that's gone now. Probably won't use seafoam for a while.
long_w8 View Drop Down

Quote long_w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2012 at 23:27
I have the same rattle, for the same 1 second when starting cold. Assuming all is still cool until my next oil change, I'd consider doing the Lucas thing as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>