Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Possible cam adjuster issue?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possible cam adjuster issue?
    Posted: 10-Jun-2008 at 21:57
Yeah, basically they just want to steal from you when you already know they are going to if you tell them to go ahead and charge me for the labor too. I never liked that feeling and those situations, when they being unconsidered about other person. Anyways that’s how big businesses make their money. If I were you I will order the part and tell them to don’t install it that you are going to do it yourself some other time. If I’m not mistaken I have seen other pics of a w8, they were doing the same kind of job and the clutch was on the floor on the side of all the parts. That’s when you get your new clutch exchange it for the old one that is on the floor and that’s it they can’t charge you for it. If they don’t want to install the new one oh well the car is going to be there for a while I’m not going to give them the old one back for them to put in. LOL Well that’s how I will try to do it. You probably can take ideas out of it but definitely I will order it and if they want to charge you for labor when you already know they don’t need to charge you for it. I will tell them put the old one back and tell them F U I won’t get F today lol. And either return the clutch or save it when you really need it. You can probably use the strategy of if you don’t install the new clutch without any labor I will return it but right on they already got the trany and everything out.
Excuse my language guys.
Squish there is any way you can send me some pics of your w8 engine to my email send me all of them if you can the email is vwcorrado566@hotmail.com Thanks if you can’t I understand we all get busy sometimes.
mf7365 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mf7365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 11:59
How long on average does the cam adjuster job take? My service manager said it would be done in about 2-3 days once the parts were in. It sounded pretty fast to me.
squish View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote squish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 12:53
if your mech is experienced in these repairs, it will take him a half day (or less) to perform each segment: remove the engine, tear it down, replace parts, zip it up, and reinstall (replace fluids, recharge the A/C, etc).

try to be there when he's just got the engine in. get him to fire it up with open pipes. nothing in the world sounds like it!

this is my car in the shop with my tech doing just that.
http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x21/dubvincipics/?action=view¤t=w8openexhaust.flv
2005 V70 R
2007 2.0T 6MT
mf7365 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mf7365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2008 at 13:11
I just got off the phone with VWoA and they will only repair the bank one side because it was the one showing the code. I guess I just hope that bank 2 goes while I'm under my extended warranty.
squish View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote squish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2008 at 16:41
jeeze, who do they have running the show? hard for me to believe that they think it makes sense to tear a car down to replace just one cam adjuster KNOWING that the other one will fail.
my code showed only one side failed and my tech and SA said that both sides get replaced.

let's just change one spark plug or one old tire or half the oil...

i know you are going to be shelling out $300+ for your clutch parts, but i wonder what it would cost you to buy the other adjuster?
do you have a deductable with your EW? could make sense if you did
2005 V70 R
2007 2.0T 6MT
mf7365 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mf7365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2008 at 11:55
My EW deductible is $50, but they won't fix the bank 2 adjusters unless they are throwing a code. What I can not figure out is how VW can replace the cam adjusters on both sides under warranty for one vehicle and not another? Plus, it's been two weeks and I'm still waiting for my car. They just started work yesterday, apparently they have been waiting for the parts and a bay to open that would be available for an extended time. My EW provides for a loaner, but they are only replacing the O2 sensors because the engine will be out, so they are not going to give me anything and the dealer has already said no. I sure hope bank 2 goes before 100,000 mi. or 6/2010. It is absolutely ridiculous that I may have to have the engine out again for something that could have been fixed right now if VW would just admit that it is a manufactures default.
dubya_eight View Drop Down

Quote dubya_eight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2008 at 12:31
Not sure what the cost is for the part, but as you were prepared to pump some cash in for a clutch, perhaps it would be cost effective to inquire what it would be out of pocket for you to do bank 2 while the engine is out and in the service position?

Also, just an observation on all the issues everyone is having with the cam adjuster, it seems that all throw the P0011 code, meaning bank 1. Yet there never seems to be any for the other bank (code P0021 I think) for bank 2. I wonder if one side is more prone to failure than the other for whatever reason?

Just thinking out loud.

Edited by dubya_eight - 19-Jun-2008 at 18:33
------------------------------
2003 W8
Tip
Blue Spirit / Black
------------------------------
straightw8 View Drop Down

Quote straightw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2008 at 23:00
wondering the same thing.
JMCXTY View Drop Down

Quote JMCXTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2008 at 00:52
Also remembering it is possible with the right tech to replace passenger side adjuster parts with out dropping engine.
Jamie

black 2002 W8 variant tip with sports pack
mf7365 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mf7365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2008 at 08:12
I had heard this, but wasn't sure if anyone had actually had it done without the engine being removed? So I'm assuming bank1 is drivers side/bank2 passenger side.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>