Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Inaccurate Speedo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MRAJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inaccurate Speedo
    Posted: 20-Jul-2008 at 22:27
Anyone compare there Speedometer to their GPS unit? My Speedo reads 5mph to fast at an indicated 60mph when my GPS says I'm only doing 55mph. Anyone have this issue? Is it an easy fix, its a minor annoyance.
Looking to buy a W8 Wagon 6-Speed to haul grocceries...And I finally found one on 2-16-2008
t0kie View Drop Down

Quote t0kie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2008 at 12:29
If you run standard size of wheels that should be fine, just follow your speedo.
MRAJB View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote MRAJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2008 at 17:23
yeah, I ahve stock rims and tires.
Looking to buy a W8 Wagon 6-Speed to haul grocceries...And I finally found one on 2-16-2008
lyrinx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote lyrinx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2008 at 19:06
I heard it before that speedometer in W8 shows more than real.
Check on your climatronic diagonze program how much sensor shows (channel 2 as I remember), it's usually couple MPH slower than speedometer so it seems to be more accurate.
VWAffe View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote VWAffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2008 at 09:23
Common issue to all VW's in recent history... some guys over at TDIClub have figured out how to remap the calibration curves for thier speedos to match the GPS. It's not for the faint of heart.

Climatronic Diagnose channel 16 is the speed channel... it pretty well matches GPS readings, but sometimes runs a mph or so slow.

'03 W8 Sedan 6MT     ..."it goes to 11!"
'02 V6 Wagon 4Mo 5MT (Swap In Work)     ...both black on black w/ limo tint
'14 JSW TDI 6MT
jeffsu350 View Drop Down

Quote jeffsu350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2008 at 17:01
the speedo's on all VW and most german cars have this problem

apparently the law overseas is that the speedo cannot read lower than the actual speed. to make sure this doesn't happen, most speedos are 2-5 mph higher than actual
MRAJB View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote MRAJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2008 at 23:11
I guess before I got a GPS I had nothing to really compare it too...I'll try and not let it bother me.. :)
rustybronco View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote rustybronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 08:49
Actually... i think this has saved me a few tickets over the past year . Always have feel like I'm doing 15 over
Trevorswaine View Drop Down

Quote Trevorswaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 13:31
Almost every car runs a few mph over so I've found.

Won't the registered speed for given revs be different for a new tyre and a worn out tyre?
M1ck View Drop Down

Quote M1ck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 14:40
Speedos on most cars sold in europe can read upto 10% high.

I know that I can go through 30mph speed traps with the speedo reading upto 35 and be ok.
 Post Reply Post Reply