The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

1st Post = Cam Adjuster Issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Goofy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1st Post = Cam Adjuster Issues
    Posted: 06-Aug-2008 at 01:47
Thanks Guys,

I've done around 200 miles since getting the car back and so far so good, no lumpy idle, dodgy sounds or CEL as we speak. I don't know what oil was in the car when I bough it from CarMax but the VW dealer repalce it with Castrol Syntec. I've got the best part of 5 years/100,000 miles warranty left so whatever happens... C'est la vie!

I love the car, it's totally standard other than the exhaust which was like that when I bought it, I'm thinking of changing it back to the original, am I weird? There are a few minor cosmetic issues that need sorting but it's nice to be driving something out of the ordinary... niggles and all.
cantw8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote cantw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2008 at 04:46
Goofy!

Welcome to the group. I just noticed that you're from San Diego! So am I!

I get my car serviced by Drew Volkswagen located at 8850 Grossmont Blvd La Mesa, California. Ask for Don in service. He's the senior writer and he'll hook you up with the senior tech who knows the W8s. Tell him JJ sent you.

OT: Sedan or Wagon? Color? 5AT or 6MT? Sport? Other than my car, I've only seen a silver W8 without the sport package driving around San Diego.

JJ
2003 W8 Variant, 6MT, Blue Spirit Pearl / Gray

SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2008 at 10:41
Originally posted by cantw8

OT: Sedan or Wagon? Color? 5AT or 6MT? Sport?

Yes, let's see some pics of your beast!
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
Goofy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Goofy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2008 at 18:45
Originally posted by cantw8

Goofy!

Welcome to the group. I just noticed that you're from San Diego! So am I!

I get my car serviced by Drew Volkswagen located at 8850 Grossmont Blvd La Mesa, California. Ask for Don in service. He's the senior writer and he'll hook you up with the senior tech who knows the W8s. Tell him JJ sent you.

OT: Sedan or Wagon? Color? 5AT or 6MT? Sport? Other than my car, I've only seen a silver W8 without the sport package driving around San Diego.

JJ

Thanks for the welcome JJ,

I took the car to City VW and to be honest they were excellent, I'll see what happens with the car over the next few weeks but I'll definitely keep Drew VW in mind... Thanks for the tip.

As far as the car (and my ignorance) goes... The color is a light green with tan interior but I don't know the exact color name... Shame on me!! It's a wagon with 5 speed Tip and totally standard other than the exhaust.

OT - The black trim around the bottom of your doors/fender... Is that standard? Mine are all color coded and some are in need of a little TLC, I was just wondering if it's a big deal to replace any of that stuff??

SRaL - I would post some pics but compared to some of the modded beauties on here my bog standard car looks a little plain!!
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2008 at 20:44
Originally posted by Goofy

SRaL - I would post some pics but compared to some of the modded beauties on here my bog standard car looks a little plain!!

Nonsense!! We all have to start from scratch...we were all stock at one point!
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
straightw8 View Drop Down

Quote straightw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2008 at 21:21
I didnt know the W8 came in that color.. it's my favorite color, when i see others I get a little jealous...

although, i do like my black...
cantw8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote cantw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 20:36
Originally posted by Goofy

OT - The black trim around the bottom of your doors/fender... Is that standard? Mine are all color coded and some are in need of a little TLC, I was just wondering if it's a big deal to replace any of that stuff??

Goofy:

Just wondering if the trim looks like this?

04 W8 with areo kit minus rear bottom valance

Edited by cantw8 - 10-Aug-2008 at 02:37
2003 W8 Variant, 6MT, Blue Spirit Pearl / Gray

typhoon97 View Drop Down

Quote typhoon97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2008 at 21:04
Welcome to the forum! I too bought my 2003 W8 from a Carmax dealer in Maryland along with their extended warranty. I too had the dreaded cam adjuster problem but was fortunate that my car was still under the FACTORY powertrain warranty so VWofA paid out over $10k to have all of the adjusters and related parts replaced according to factory directives. I suspect that the previous owner was negligent on maintenance but since I have all of these new factory parts and plan on changing the oil now every 3-4K miles hopefully my W8 will go the distance (at least until the extended warranty is in effect - ha!)

Happy Motoring!
03 W8 Sedan / Dark Blue / Tiptronic / Factory stock - WHEN IT RUNS IT FLIES LIKE THE WIND!!
Goofy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Goofy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2008 at 23:02
Good to hear that you got your car repaired under warranty and that it's running fine. To be honest, and to my surprise, my car's been going well too but it's good to know that the warranty is there just in case!!

I plan on 4-5k oil changes from now on and see where we're at with about 6 months left on the warranty, I might sell or just keep it 'til it dies!? Hopefully at least 4 more years of happy motoring!
MP33Dave View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MP33Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2008 at 21:25
First: Welcome. The W8 is an awesome car.

Second: Did the dealership tell you that you needed $11k in repairs? Or the Carmax shop?

The adjusters from the warranty company must really know there stuff if they suggested just an oil change and it worked so far.

Congrats on your purchace.

04/6MT/W8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>