The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum Lockedproblem-free W8

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote IndyW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: problem-free W8
    Posted: 03-Nov-2008 at 08:26
Originally posted by SirRangeALot

Are all of you guys out of warranty yet? I've lucked out so far since mine expired last month, however I will not lie and say I have been weighing my options for trade-in...I'm sure I'm not the only one!
I've considered it, but trade-in value is so terrible it's just not worth it. Nothing in my price range is remotely as nice as the W8. I'll just live with the anxiety of being out of warranty, $65 DIY oil changes (when oil is on sale) and 18 mpg.
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2008 at 08:42

Are all of you guys out of warranty yet? I've lucked out so far since mine expired last month, however I will not lie and say I have been weighing my options for trade-in...I'm sure I'm not the only one!

For factory I've just for the powertrain warranty left. For extended warranty has about 50K miles left.
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
ben View Drop Down

Quote ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2008 at 11:07
Originally posted by Trevorswaine

Right then everyone. It's all doom and gloom about cam issues and other problems so is there anyone out there who has a trouble free W8 ???   Somebody please say yes ....

Yes

No doom & gloom here, just happy & delightful motoring with my W8. Wrrooom wrrooom!

And I don't have extended warranty either anymore

++ben
* W8 Variant -02 / 341000 kms
dstathos View Drop Down

Quote dstathos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2008 at 12:01
Love and "admire" the car, but, not problem free. Seeing from the replies to this post, it seems as though not too many are.

In the span of 100K miles, all headlights, brake rotors (on all 4 wheels), transmission torque converter, and the dreaded cam adjuster have been replaced at least once. This is apart from the standard maintenance features.

Again, love the car, but, no farfignugnen (or however they marketed then) for me.

NOTICE: I am a W8 owner and admirer, but, I am not bashing other VW Passat W8 owners or their desire for purchasing or keeping their car. What I am stating is my factual experiences of my car which just so happens to be a VW Passat W8. Any other interpretations by any other reader will not be considered.
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2008 at 13:13
Rotors are standard wear items on any car. I've never heard of a car that can go 100K miles on one set.
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2008 at 22:12
Originally posted by IndyW8

I've considered it, but trade-in value is so terrible it's just not worth it. Nothing in my price range is remotely as nice as the W8. I'll just live with the anxiety of being out of warranty, $65 DIY oil changes (when oil is on sale) and 18 mpg.

Well if you can afford it SUV's and trucks are practically being given away. I'm considering going back to a Jeep, the one I'm eyeing is $12k off, which would eat my negative equity nicely. But I just can't bear to let my car go. I seriously think I have an emotional attachment to my car, every time I talk to another dealership or even look at other cars, I look across the lot and see my beauty sitting there and think, "I can't do this, I can't let her go!" (I know, I'm crazy...)

Originally posted by B5crazy

For factory I've just for the powertrain warranty left. For extended warranty has about 50K miles left.

Lucky!
rustybronco View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote rustybronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2008 at 22:34
really not superstitious except to when I start talking about things that have not broken on a car yet (or any machine that matter...) so... *knock on wood*

I've not had too many problems. I don't count things like light bulbs. Had some minor problems with the headlight access covers. The torque converter seal was replaced under power train warranty. I did have a P0011 code, but it cleared up w/ an oil change. Only thing after that is the cruise control doesn't work right now - traced it to the blinker stalk but have not bought the $75 (or $140 dealer) part.
JimmyPringles View Drop Down

Quote JimmyPringles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2008 at 01:06
Just had my 20K service (purchased with 9k miles day after Thanksgiving 2006). Covered by factory powertrain till May 09, then extended warranty 7 years or 75k miles. Oil changes every 5000k with Pentosin.

To date only issues:

Drivers headlight not coming on once, because the igniter didn't fire properly. Restarted vehicle and was fine there after.

During cold weather/winter climatronic makes a bunch of noise sometimes even when off. I just play with all the buttons until it stops, or just turn the radio on/up.

...Nothing W8 specific.

Overall Im perfectly happy with my car & never had any major issues. Im not too worried about it either, if worse came to worse, & my engine exploded and couldn't be replaced, I would probably just throw something else in.
02passatw8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote 02passatw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2008 at 08:15
Yea what is all that noise with the climatronic i noticed that before?
Stymie View Drop Down

Quote Stymie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2008 at 20:59

My warranty runs out in February of 2014, or at 134,500 miles. I bought the car in Feb. of '07 with 34,500 miles on the clock. I'm just coming up on 47,000 miles as I type this (yes, before you ask, I'm multitasking. )

I love this car, and I'm not going to sell or trade it if I can help it. That said, I have my eye on a "Grösser Passat" with the W12 engine, and If I can only afford to keep one of the two...

I'll be damn unhappy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>