The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Off-Topic Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Where have all the good AT&T cell phones gone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where have all the good AT&T cell phones gone?
    Posted: 22-Aug-2008 at 00:06
Originally posted by Trevorswaine

Just a novel idea but I always thought that phones were for speaking to someone else. This seems to be the last thing on phone companies' minds now. Perhaps I'm just a Luddite.

Welcome to the 21st century. First it was cameras, then mp3 ringtones, then video recorders, text messaging, internet, email, etc. all in the palm of your hand. Gotta love technology.
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
Awesome Beast View Drop Down

Quote Awesome Beast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2008 at 09:47

Just a novel idea but I always thought that phones were for speaking to someone else. This seems to be the last thing on phone companies' minds now. Perhaps I'm just a Luddite.

Hear Hear!!!
VWAffe View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote VWAffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2008 at 13:29
I've had the Shines for a little while now, and I concur... this thing is no longer primarily a phone. The rest of the bloat has gotten in the way of basic calling functions, like clarity, signal gain, and ... being able to hear the damn thing ringing.

I've read enough around the net to know the ringer can be fixed by creative means, but out of the box, which is the rule for most consumers, the ringer volume sucks.

I want my Nokia back. It had a bunch of bells and whistles, but the basic phone function wasn't sacrificed for the add-ons.
'03 W8 Sedan 6MT     ..."it goes to 11!"
'02 V6 Wagon 4Mo 5MT (Swap In Work)     ...both black on black w/ limo tint
'14 JSW TDI 6MT
JimmyPringles View Drop Down

Quote JimmyPringles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2008 at 00:33

Well to shed a bit of light on the wave of the future:

I was always the same way, and am not a phone person, and was definately not a "text" messaging person. Well, I just recently added a text messaging to my plan, and do so a lot more now. Why? Well I work 4pm-Midnight, and a lot of times it was difficult to get back to people, especially when you remember at 2am, and everyone is sleeping (which I would never call that late unless it was an absolute emergency).

I found to avoid grief from people in not getting back to them (sometimes I would forget by the next day or week even), it was easiest to send them text messages if I happen to remember at 2am. A text at 2am does not disturb most people, as most only have a small beep connected to their text alert. Works for me.
Awesome Beast View Drop Down

Quote Awesome Beast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2008 at 05:00
I have 250 'free' texts in my Vodafone price plan so makes sense to text rather than call unless of course I find it necessary to 'talk' to someone for anything that may be urgent.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12