The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedW8 Speedtuning Chip Group Buy!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: W8 Speedtuning Chip Group Buy!
    Posted: 14-Aug-2008 at 22:50
UPDATE!!! Tuesday, Aug 19th - Pricing, Payment, Shipping, and Flash info! Click Here!

UPDATED Aug. 17th, 2008. I will be keeping this round of the GB open until midnight Friday, August 22nd.

UPDATED Aug. 16th, 2008. Please see page 3 for most recent information!

Good Evening,

I will be starting a GB here on the W8F and on PassatWorld for a SpeedTuningUSA chip/ECU flash. I spoke with Oliver at STU on the phone today regarding this GB and he gave me the go-ahead. As long as I get at least of 10 committed and paid, he will discount the chip (as listed on the web site) from USD$299 all the way down to USD$150!

He (Oliver) can chip your ECU two ways:

1) You can mail it to him for the flash and he will overnight it back to you, or
2) He will ship out to you a flash kit for self install (with a deposit, fully refundable).

This company has been around longer than APR.

1996: Foundation of the company SpeedTuning® in Austria since 1998: Homebase Linz, Austria annual car show (i.e. Design Center Linz)

1999: Main distributor for SpeedBuster®/Germany for Austria.

2001: Foundation of SpeedTuning® USA, Spencerville, MD.

I will be in contact with Oliver in the next few days, so I will try to keep this post up to date as much as I can. I'd like to start this as soon as we get 10 of us interested!

1. ___/ __/ _/
2. rustybronco (payment sent)
3. VancouverW8 (payment sent)
4. jmc_w8 (PAYMENT RECEIVED)
5. pantera1683
6. MikestroW8 (PAYMENT RECEIVED)
7. ktyl2469 (PAYMENT RECEIVED)
8. PDXdubin
9. CBishop
10. MicBicPic
11. Candywhtb5
12. scottpassat2.8 (PAYMENT RECEIVED)
13. JimmyPringles (PAYMENT RECEIVED)
14. O'Doyle
15. doubleu8
16. Corwin
17. tooblue (payment sent)
18. Darth Volkswagen (PAYMENT RECEIVED)
19. gerwazy
20. Aagiants (PAYMENT RECEIVED)
21. pssat
22. swaigo
23. rlm1014
24. pcscustom
25. soundguybob (PAYMENT RECEIVED)
26. pa944red

What do you say, guys?

Mike

Edited by ___/ __/ _/ - 29-Aug-2008 at 03:20
"I agree that the W8 is a great car--when it works... "
-dstathos-

^Pure Genius! Why didn't I write that?!?

___/ __/ _/ View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2008 at 01:40
$150!

That's like 6 trips to Starbuck's!

-dstathos-

rustybronco View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2008 at 05:19
eh, um... hell ya!

sign me up!

One question (I'm in regardless). Do you know if it removes the soft rev limiter in 1st gear (on a tip)?
RIDETOLIVE92 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2008 at 05:22
besides the 20 more hp and 25 more ft. pounds what else will it do ? is this the best we can hope to get out of this motor...a little under 300 hp and 400 ft. pounds ? is this the biggest and best bang for my performance buck ? i think you would know more then me on this topic. the fact that you are leading the charge to get this group buy leads me to think that you are sold on the product and it's cost/benefit rating.
also i am unclear on the part where it says chip or flash the ECU. will we just be getting ours just reprogramed or will they be adding different chips? if it is just reprograming i am more apt to do it.. due to the reasons mentioned below.

will it remove the top speed governor so i can really open her up ? will it improve my mileage ?...i am averaging 20 mpg in mixed city/hwy. driving around 400 per tank +/- , will it get rid of that pesky 1.5 second delay i sometimes have when i punch it from a standing start ? the website says the error messge system remains online...will the system show errors specific to the modification ? what i mean is will it really be undetectable with diagnostics at the stealership ? i have mentioned in another post i am wary of doing performance and suspension mods cause i have 18 more months on the bumper to bumper VW gave me when i bought her and i have been warned that depending on what breaks down if they find any mods of this type and can link it to the breakdown then i could be sh*t out of luck.
if the answer to all or most of these questions is yes...(mostly the undetectable part) i am most likely in for the buy.
    jeff    

Edited by RIDETOLIVE92 - 15-Aug-2008 at 11:36
rustybronco View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2008 at 05:44
I can answer a couple of the questions... and please pardon me if i type anything you already know.
The top speed governor will be removed.
This is an incredible value - I've seen similar chips go for as much as $600 (I think some of this is b/c it's such a rare car). $299 is a good price - you'll never see it for $150 again.
20 additional hp for a naturally aspirated engine is pretty good - definitely the cheapest hp/$ addition for our cars. The gains on turbos are higher - but they bump the boost pressure up. You'll see better gains if the chip is combined w/ an exhaust and intake (though our stock setup on these is pretty good).

I've heard that on naturally aspirated gas millage usually improves slightly - enough to notice? I'm not sure.

Others with more knowledge on chips will have to chime in, but from what I understand the "chip" is detectable, but they have to specifically look for it. I've never heard of a chip causing actual problems to an engine. I've read of people worried about what their dealer would say if they found out it was chipped, but I have not heard of anyone having any issues with it.

edit: check out their faq: speedtuningusa faq

Edited by rustybronco - 15-Aug-2008 at 12:18
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2008 at 07:47
I was talking with someone from the UK recently and was surprised to hear that you have to tell your insurance company if you mod your car.
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
M1ck View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2008 at 08:36
Originally posted by B5crazy

I was talking with someone from the UK recently and was surprised to hear that you have to tell your insurance company if you mod your car.

A lot of people dont bother though. I certainly wouldnt for a chip.
JimmyPringles View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2008 at 14:26
What about 2004 6 speed manuals? Or is this just for Tips & 03 manuals?
MikestroW8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2008 at 14:48
Realistically speaking, what is the difference between this and say GIAC or APR?

2003 Black Tip W8 Sedan
___/ __/ _/ View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2008 at 16:07
Hey everyone,

I will forward these questions on to Oliver today.

From what I know, Speedtuning has been big in Europe for some time, but relatively new here in the USA. Oliver is the only distributor in the US.

I will be in contact with him this afternoon with my LIST of Q's....

If you perform a search on Vortex and PW for SpeedTuningUSA you can learn a bit about them. Some say the files are based on Upsolute files, but a rep from that company (scotty-something?) adamantly denies this. The common denominator between teh two companies is they're both based in Austria.

Sounds solid to me.

Mike
-dstathos-

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>