Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Exterior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedMore on tires and wheels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bwalk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More on tires and wheels
    Posted: 17-Aug-2008 at 19:31
I have been checking this forum and am somewhat confused and ignorant too. Does anyone have any good firm info regarding alternative tire sizes/profiles which fit stock OEM factory wheels. I have to replace the OEM 215/55 R16 tires on my 2002 W8 sedan and would like to use 225/55 R16's instead on the factory 7J rims or maybe even a 235 wide profile but am concerned about interference, rubbing and handling problems and effects. (I guess similar info for stock 17 inch factory wheels would be valuable for W8 owners with those wheels too.) Anyhow for me it is in summary how 'big' can I go on the factory 16 inch dia., 7 J, six spoke rims. Also have seen a lot of discussion re Madras and Atlantas wheels and (excuse my ignorance) can someone clarify just what those wheels are.    Bill (Denver, Colorado)
MikestroW8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MikestroW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2008 at 19:33
If it helps you a little, I just replaced 225/45/17's with 235/45/17's and there was still room.
2003 Black Tip W8 Sedan
rustybronco View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote rustybronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2008 at 21:45
I just put on 235/40 R18 w/ ET45. In the front there is only about 4mm clearance between the tire and (what I would call) the steering knuckle. This is fine since that distance never changes.

You can definitely go w/ 225's on the 16 inch Atlantas. A picture of the Madras here (17 inch wheel and part of the "Sport" package).

I think you could probably go w/ 235s... but I can't say for sure they would fit - rim width can affect side wall width of the tire. Personally, if it was me, I'd go with the 225's to be sure they would fit, or perhaps mount one 235 and check for clearance.

Also, here is a good site to look at tire and wheel sizes.

edit: And... Welcome to the forum!

Edited by rustybronco - 18-Aug-2008 at 03:46
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2008 at 22:57
Originally posted by rustybronco

I think you could probably go w/ 235s... but I can't say for sure they would fit - rim width can affect side wall width of the tire. Personally, if it was me, I'd go with the 225's to be sure they would fit, or perhaps mount one 235 and check for clearance.

Also - don't forget that the bigger the tire, the more your speedometer will be off.

Welcome aboard!
rustybronco View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote rustybronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2008 at 23:44
Originally posted by SirRangeALot

Also - don't forget that the bigger the tire, the more your speedometer will be off.

Yes, good point. You would have to replace the 215/55 R16 with 235/50 R16 - the diameters would then more or less be the same.
bwalk View Drop Down

Quote bwalk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2008 at 15:58
Thank you for your help gentlemen. I appreciate being included in the forum.
bwalk View Drop Down

Quote bwalk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2008 at 22:30
This may complete this thread. Eventually fitted 225/55R16 General Altimax HP's on the stock Atlantas. With the increase in diameter and width this profile just clears the 'steering knuckle'. 235/55's would touch or rub almost certainly in this tire on this wheel. 235/50's "should" be OK (noting that different tire manufactures profiles can vary a bit for the same nominal size). Took me a while to get around to it but I ran the old and thumpy Michelins out to the end. Have not done many miles on the Altimax HP's yet but they seem quiet and may turn out I hope to be a good value for money all season performer. Time will tell.
dmcdmc View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 12:36
Currently running 235/35 R19's on 8.5 inch rims with no clearance issues
bwalk View Drop Down

Quote bwalk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 18:09
Makes sense with my recent tire fit and 'theoretical' calculations.

Undistorted theoretical radius from centre of hub calcs as follows

235/35R19     323.5mm

235/50R16     321mm

225/55R16     327mm (just clears and narrower than 235)

235/55R16     332mm (would most likely rub)

This assumes the rims all have the same (45mm) offset.
Maybe someone would check my calcs - as the years roll by my arithmetic is suffering. Anyhow when it's looking tight a trial fit is not a bad idea.
makattkd View Drop Down

Quote makattkd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 19:07
Check with the tyre manufacturers for the circumference of their tyres. You may well find two different brands of exactly the same size 225/55/16 may not actually have the same rolling circumference.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>