Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Exterior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedWheel gapage on the W8.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wheel gapage on the W8.
    Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 00:51
Now, if I decide to upgrade to bigger rims, how big of a wheel gap am I going to be looking at? I have the "non-sport" W8, so apparently mine will sit higher than the "sport" models. I really don't want to invest a sh*tload of money into wheels, tires, and suspension. So here's a photo reference from a member's W8 over at PassatWorld:

Now I'd be happy with that wheel gap. I believe he's running 19's with a stock suspension (non-sport). So I'm assuming mine will sit like this too if I get bigger wheels?
sledgeharvy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sledgeharvy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 09:06
I was thinking the same thing... my W8 also is a non-sport, so it doesn't sit as low and was thinking if I got the bigger rims would still have that huge space in between the tires and car.. and I think it might even exaggerate that space even more because now the tire profile isn't as prominent. I think we have two options... fork out the money to get the sport suspension... to lower the car 2 inches, or do it the "brotha" way.. and just get rims and tires so big that it doesn't make sense... ha ha.. just kidding.. actually when the Dodge charger came out the wheel space was pretty prominent.. but when people started adding 20's and 22's and stuff.. with out changing the suspension it actually looked fine.. but I'm sure the ride comfort was completely lost.. not to mention the fact that when you change the tire size like that and don't "Inch Up" it also changes the RPM's on your tire.. so if your "Driving Mrs. Daisy" and the Speed-o-meter says 55 you're probably actually doing 60 or something somewhere closer to 60.. but well.. atleast we'll have that look that we want.. unless there's some mechanics out there that want to give us some other DIY trick...

Edited by sledgeharvy - 10-Jan-2007 at 15:12
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 16:47

Wow that looks just like my father's Oldsmobile.
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
W84Mo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote W84Mo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 22:17

I roll on 18's with the W8 Sport Susp. I won't drop it.
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229024

SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 23:04
^^

I would need more examples/pics with the NON-sport suspension, but thanks for playing. =)
scottbob0 View Drop Down

Quote scottbob0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 03:22
have the people with 19's lost a wheel liner yet?
W8 6speed 03 Maus
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 08:32
I'm not sure that the Sport (1BE) suspension package lowers the car. I've never seen anything definitive (i.e. from VW literature, in ETKA, in Bentley) that substantiates this, and while many have said it *does* lower the car, many have also said that it *doesn't* lower the car.

The 1BE definitely gets a larger rear anti-roll bar (17mm vs 15mm), and different springs and shocks, but I personally think that has more to do with the additional weight of the car than any intention to lower it. The Sport package also included the Madras rims, and the 6-speed was standard, IIRC.

In addition, if it is lowered, I sure don't think they did a good job of it... this is my 1BE-optioned 6-speed Variant, on the stock Madras rims:

And on my 17" BBS RG-R summers:

Edited by fitzski - 11-Jan-2007 at 14:36
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 17:18
Ah, sh!t, I'm about ready to just keep my Atlantas, get some spacers and paint the wheels a gunmental color and call it a day. The sleeper look isn't so bad, either. =)

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2007 at 06:57
Originally posted by fitzski

I'm not sure that the Sport (1BE) suspension package lowers the car. I've never seen anything definitive (i.e. from VW literature, in ETKA, in Bentley) that substantiates this, and while many have said it *does* lower the car, many have also said that it *doesn't* lower the car.

The 1BE definitely gets a larger rear anti-roll bar (17mm vs 15mm), and different springs and shocks, but I personally think that has more to do with the additional weight of the car than any intention to lower it. The Sport package also included the Madras rims, and the 6-speed was standard, IIRC.

I think you're right. I believe Swami over at PW states that the only difference between the sport and non sport is basically a set of Madras. I guess I'll have to make a move and see what it does, there's only one way to find out. =)

EDIT: I found his post...

Please reference the writeup I did about 3 years ago when comparing the Sport and non Sport Edition W8's. It's hilarious when I hear owners swear down that the Sport Edition W8 is a grandiose improvement over the non-Sport. This is VW marketing hype at it's best, because all Sport Edition owners got was a set of Madras.

The only difference in the suspensions is a slightly stiffer swaybar and the use of 17" BBS Madras wheels on the Sport Edition. The part numbers for the shocks per ETKA are the same, and the Eibach manufactured springs are slightly stiffer! North American versions of this car didn't even get the stiffer swaybars. The use of slightly stiffer springs does not lower the stance or change any of the handling characteristics of the car, so how can VW call this a Sport Edition. Heck, even importing the 1BE suspension for North American W8's and calling it a Sport Edition would be considered a real upgrade.

I've also tracked both a W8 Sport and Non-Sport editions on 18" BBS VZ wheels and the rides handled the same in a short slalom and on hard lateral turns. Both cars also had major issues with front end nose dipping during high speed braking!

Now as far as current B6 Passats, VW has made distinct changes between Sport and Luxury Edition Passats. i.e. Seats, Paddle Shifting, wood/metallic interior, and suspension. I own a Luxury Edition Passat but plan on adding 1BE swaybars and either running H&R/Bilstein combo or holding tight for a set of KWSuspension V1 coilovers.. The only reason I went for the Luxury Edition over the Sport is I liked the interior and seats.

Good luck, and I hope this helps...

Peace and blessings,

Will aka The Swami

Edited by SirRangeALot - 23-Jan-2007 at 13:05

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2007 at 07:09
Originally posted by SirRangeALot

So whether you have a sport or non sport suspension, the W8 is still going to sit like this. I can live with that. =)

Edited by SirRangeALot - 23-Jan-2007 at 13:25
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>